How to Use Your Card
Once you collect your debit card from any GTBank branch, the first thing you must do is activate it using any of the following methods most convenient to you:
- PIN selection via POS terminal in any branch
- PIN selection via any GTBank ATM in Nigeria
- PIN retrieval via internet banking
After activation, you can begin to pay for purchases with your debit card via e-channels such as POS terminals, online, ATMs and 737 USSD mobile payments.
International Use of your Card
Your debit card can be used on POS terminals and ATMs abroad as well as for online transactions with international merchant sites (websites). Please take note of the following points when performing international transactions with your card:
- Where you have more than one account type, your default/primary account is debited when making payments with your card abroad as you may not be given the option of paying from your current/savings account. Therefore it is mandatory you ensure your card is linked to your preferred account and that this account is adequately funded before making payments to avoid having declined transactions.
- When given a choice to pay with your card in Naira or in the local currency of the country you are visiting, it is advisable to make payments in the country’s local currency or website you are shopping on. Paying in the local currency with your card on reduces the fees and charges for currency conversion.
Safeguard Your Card
our debit card is protected by a secure technology for card transactions and an embedded microchip coupled with a four-digit PIN known exclusively to you.
MasterCard also provides an extra level of authentication online when using your card for web transactions (with participating merchants) by protecting your card against unauthorised use.
As a GTBank cardholder, when you encounter SecureCode on any website, you will be required to enter a 6-digit code generated from your GTBank token device when prompted or you have a choice to alternatively enter the 6-digit One Time Password (OTP) sent to your email and/or phone number registered with the bank.
In the unfortunate event that your debit card is lost, stolen, damaged or compromised, you can cancel your card using any of the following options:
- SMS: Text ‘HOTLIST <NUBAN> to 08076665555 from your phone number registered with the bank e.g. ‘HOTLIST 0123456789’. You will receive an SMS to confirm that your card has been successfully cancelled.
- Internet Banking: Select ‘Cards’ from the left-hand menu, click on ‘Card Hotlist’ and select the card you want to cancel
- By calling our 24 hour contact centre GTCONNECT on any of the numbers below
- By visiting any GTBank branch
Card Security Tips
Here are some tips that can help safeguard against card fraud and identity theft.
- Treat your card as cash, never leave it unattended
- Review your card account frequently. If you notice any irregularities e.g. charges on items you didn’t order, cash withdrawals you didn’t make, etc. Put a call to us immediately to report this.
- Always check your email for transaction updates. The email notification service is free and compulsory for the safety of your account. To enrol for this service please call GTConnect on the following numbers: 0700 482666328, 01 4480000, 080 39003900, 080 29002900 or visit any of our branches near you.
- Keep your PIN Secret. DO NOT write your Personal Identification Number (PIN) on paper or give it out to anyone, including friends and family, and do not reveal it to anyone over the phone. Avoid using numbers that are easily identified (birth date, phone number, etc.) with your personal identity. Report lost or stolen cards immediately.
- Keep your eye on your card. Ensure your card is in your clear view whenever an attendant at a shop wants to swipe your card. DO NOT allow the attendant take your card into an inner room or enter your PIN on your behalf.